Gilbert Arenas is now officially out for the year. This is the latest report on ESPN:
A person familiar with Wednesday’s meeting between Arenas and NBA Commissioner David Stern said Arenas requested to be suspended for the remainder of the season and sources said that Stern plans to abide by the request, the Washington Post reports. (Jan 27)
The hottest topic around sports radio today is “What should the Wizards do with Arenas?” The consensus that I have heard is the Wizards should look to trade Arenas, but where, for what? In almost any trade scenario the Wizards are going to get shafted.
My Trade Idea
- Gilbert Arenas to the Bucks for Michael Redd.
- Arenas 5 years at 16 million
- Redd 2 years 17 million
The contracts work, the trade also works in the ESPN Trade machine.
Reasons Wizards make trade
- Good Publicity. The team will need to rid themselves of the problem, that is the only way in today’s sports that stories like these go away.
- Getting something in return. Redd will also be done for the year so neither team gets any benefit this season, but Redd should be back next year.
- Essentially, getting an expiring contract for next season. Both guys are out this season, both back next season. Redd has only one year left on his deal after this season.
Reasons Bucks make trade
- Get a big time player to pair with Jennings. There may be some issues as to whether both can play together, but it may be worth the risk.
- Arenas will be determined to show everyone up. Arenas will come back determined and be more willing than ever to fit into any system. I predict he will have his best season as a pro next year when he is allowed back in.
- The Bucks need to collect assets. Redd is no good to them as a player at this point, and his expiring deal will not get them much since he still has another year left on it. If Arenas stars, the Bucks could have a nice trade asset, or a star worth keeping.
Good for Arenas
- Small market, small media. Arenas needs to just go away, Milwaukee is an easy place to be forgotten. In fact, if this trade were made this season a lot of people would actually forget that Arenas was even on the Bucks by the time next season started.
- With Milwaukee, Arenas can focus more on being a scorer since Jennings can be the primary point guard.
Good for Redd
- Redd needs a change of scenery, Milwaukee fans have used up their patience with him.
- Washington plays a score first style that will allow Redd to flourish, not the defensive style that Skiles prefers.
- Bucks may not even want him to comeback next season.
This trade could actually benefit the Wizards, Bucks, Arenas, and Redd. Arenas gets a second chance, the Bucks get a potential star, the Wizards get a better contract, good publicity, and a player with something to prove.