I cannot believe how fast the season has fallen apart, or at least it feels like it has fallen apart. The Packers are 3-3 and still very much in the playoff race but with the way the team is losing close games combined with the injuries and when you factor in the first six games were by far the easiest part of their schedule we fans cannot help but feel discouraged.
There are many things to complain about or point out but I will tackle one general theme, the Packers are built to lose close games.
- Bad return units. The Packers put very little emphasis on obtaining a good punt and kick returner and it shows.
- Bad coverage units. It feels like an accomplishment whenever a coverage unit actually makes a tackle and prevents a very big return.
- Horrible punting. The Packers have done a poor job of bringing in a solid punter, Masthay kicks it short and low, which is a disaster.
- In general the special teams suck, the Packers lose way too many hidden yards on special teams.
- No running game. Even if the Packers have some success, McCarthy stops calling runs.
- Big play or bust. The passing game can only pick up yards in big chunks, there is no short passing game whatsoever.
- Need first downs not touchdowns. This goes along with the previous point, the Packers need to only worry about getting a first down each possession and stop going for 15+ yard passes on 3rd and 2.
- Shaky kicker. Crosby never seems to make a big kick.
- Questionable challenges. McCarthy seems to challenge even when he knows he will lose which loses a timeout and a challenge. I cannot remember the last challenge won by Green Bay.
- Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. This mostly comes down to penalties, but dropping passes also contributes. The Packers attention to detail seems to be very poor. They are horrible at the little things.
The Packers never seem to get blown out, which on the surface is good, but they never win the tight games. The Packers either win comfortably or lose a close game which is very frustrating in a league striving for parity.
Pittsburgh-3 @ Miami – The Steelers are looking really tough.
Cincinnati @ Atlanta -3.5 – The Bengals are coming off a bye, they should be healthy.
Philadelphia @ Tennessee -3 – No idea.
Washington@ Chicago -3 – I do not love the Redskins but they can get after the passer and I trust Shanahan in a close game.
Cleveland @ New Orleans -13 – Cleveland sucks, I cannot take them anymore.
Buffalo @ Baltimore -13 – Buffalo sucks too.
San Francisco -3 @ Carolina – Tough watch.
St Louis @ Tampa Bay-3 – The Bucs are better than the real crappy teams.
Arizona @ Seattle-6 – Seahawks at home are a different team.
New England @ San Diego -2.5 – Chargers at home a also a different team.
Oakland @ Denver -8 – The spread seems too high.
Minnesota @ Green Bay -2.5 – I am about done picking the Packers.
Ny Giants @ Dallas -3 – Will anyone have a job in Dallas if they lose again?